Henry's schooling prepared him not for the farmer's life of his parents but for banking and for twenty years he was employed at the Lloyds branch in Dorchester. It was for the same bankers that he worked when he moved to Ryde, taking up residence at 89 West Street where the 1939 Register located him with his wife Amelia (nee Webb) who he'd married at Holy Trinity, Dorchester, on 10 September 1922. The Register also recorded that Henry was a part-time member of Ryde's contingent of the Auxiliary Fire Service and he remained in-role when the National Fire Service was established in August 1941.
Whilst little is known of his service throughout most of the war, it is known that he was recommended for a gallantry award and eventually received a commendation in the London Gazette of 4 January 1943 for his efforts, alongside many of his colleagues, to prevent the destruction of the East Cowes gas-holder during the night of the Cowes Blitz on the 4/5 May 1943. See the original case file enclosures below.