Some time before, Captain George Howard Harrison of Thornton Manor, retired chief officer of the Kingston, Surbiton and District Fire Brigade and President of the IWFBF, had submitted a plan to St Helens UDC for fire protection. Given the scope of the District's area he suggested that the UDC form a brigade that comprised three-in-one working individually but mutually if required. This required the formation of brigades in St Helens, Seaview and St Johns.
At the time the suggestion was rejected. In the wake of the Appley Towers fire a rethink was inevitable and Harrison's suggestion, whilst he wasn't credited with it, became the option of choice.
On 23 April 1906 the UDC discussed receipt of a request from Captain Hutt for more hose. Further evidence states that; the newly-elected Superintendant of the Volunteer Fire Brigade. Hutt complained that the brigade had too few hoses to reach; Thornton, St John's House, Preston Farm, Westridge Farm, Highland Road, Surbiton Grove and the middle of Cross Street (Oakfield). Given the location of those places and in reference to a later communique it is evident that George had been handed the command of the St John's Fire Brigade, an element of the larger and lengthily named St Helens Urban District Council Volunteer Fire Brigade. He had finally achieved his aim, he was a chief officer of a real fire brigade.
In this context his altruism shines through and perhaps undoes some of the allegations emanating from his previous endeavours. His firemen needed boots, the UDC denied the cost. Regardless Hutt went to a well known bootmaker in Elmfield and commissioned the work but didn't tell anyone. The matter was raised with outrage in the Council chamber and people wanted to know who'd placed the order. Hutt was noted for silently drifting out of the chamber, disappearing for a half hour or so and then reappearing with a receipt to show that he'd paid the bill from his personal funds. He never confessed to having placed the order, but all were satisfied that the cost hadn't fallen on the ratepayers and there the matter ended.
He also dipped into his own funds to fully clothe the men of the St John's Volunteer Fire Brigade with the latest well-cut tunics, accoutrements and brass helmets. By all accounts their appearance, coupled to swift action earned through many drill sessions at a Mission Hall on Brading Road, contributed to a well respected brigade for which Captain Hutt was recognised as its committed commander.
Sadly George's health, despite his comparatively young age, began to fail him and on 21 December 1908, with regret, he tendered his resignation from the brigade.
In the following January his resignation was effective and he was thanked by the District Surveyor for handing over rescue ropes and lines that he'd paid for himself. He also insisted that his firemen retain the uniforms he had bought them.
In response to the UDC's expression of appreciation for his services he replied; Friends in the district have been most kind in allowing the Brigade to use their houses for practices. It has afforded me great pleasure to work with the fire brigade.